A world without the Internet, by now, is unimaginable. The World Wide Web is considered a core pillar for getting information, connecting people, and doing businesses in this digital age. Let’s take a look at some of the most important headlines in terms of global Internet usage today.
Snapshot of Digital Use around the World
- There are 4.83 billion Internet users worldwide. That’s 62% of the world’s total population.
- There are almost 950,000 individuals who have gone online for the first time via social media every day for the past 12 months through July, 2020. That is 12 new Internet users every second.
- Global Internet users spend an average of at least 6.5 hours online every day – 2 hours and 22 minutes exclusively on social media. That’s a total of 1.25 billion years of Internet usage this year alone.
- The total number of unique mobile users worldwide is 5.15 billion growing at a rate of 2.4% every year with 121 million users for the past 12 months alone until July 2020.
- Facebook is the most popular social network in the world, responsible for over 45% of monthly social media visits or 2.7 billion monthly active users.
Here’s an interesting roundup of general Internet trends and facts to help you understand your target audience and customer behavior.
Internet Statistics You Need for Planning Your Market Strategy
- Of almost 5 billion Internet users worldwide, the highest percentage comes from Asia (49%) followed by Europe (16.8%), Africa (11%), and North America (8.2%).
- There are 1.95 billion websites on the Internet today and people access them using mobile phones (51.6%), laptops and desktops (44.1%), mobile phones, and tablet devices (4.2%).
- There are 40,000 average searches on the world’s most popular search engine, Google, every second. That’s 1.2 trillion searches globally every year.
- More than 50% of Internet users tend to look for customer reviews before buying something or paying for an online service, while at least 47% will head over directly to the company website to check out its product offering before making a commitment.
- Worldwide sales of business-to-customer (B2C) e-Commerce next year are expected to reach $4.5 trillion and by the year 2040, up to 95% of online purchases will be done using any form of e-Commerce.
- Almost 75% of online buyers prefer businesses that prioritize providing personalized shopping experience.
- More than 80% of people will not make additional online transactions with a brand – regardless of its status in the industry – after a poor customer service experience.
- At least 70% and 65% of online users don’t trust sponsored ads and press releases, respectively; instead, 82% would inquire directly from the website and want answers ‘right away’.
- As of 2018, mobile searches for “___ near me today/tonight” had increased by up to 900%.
- The ‘click to call’ option in websites is a favorite among 60% of smartphone users when trying to make a business transaction.
This is just a handful of data-driven insights on digital use around the world that gives you a preview of where and how you can grow your business. If you want to read a detailed report, you can read it from here, here, and here.
Check out these top three tips to make the most of this information.
- Broaden your horizonsAcknowledge the fact that Internet behaviors of online users are changing rapidly and influencing the way the world operates. Go beyond your bubble and stay ahead of the curve by harnessing the power of digital and social platforms to connect to your target audience. Customize your product offerings and how you deliver them according to customer needs and expectations.
- Focus your attention on peopleTechnology can be a revolutionary tool to achieve your business goals but your main priority must be to successfully satisfy your prospective customers’ wants and needs. The latest tech trends and even the most data-driven insights will only work in your favor if you take into consideration what really matters to your target market.
- Less is moreJust because your competitor is active on all social media channels and has amassed millions of paid subscriptions doesn’t mean it’s a goal you also should endeavor to achieve. Focus your efforts, budget, and resources on specific and strategic platforms to effectively reach and connect with your target customers.
Change the way you use digital for your business. SwaysEast is an all-in-one suite of smart marketing tool that you need to accomplish all your digital marketing goals! Visit our website to learn more about SwaysEast.